Sunday, July 15, 2012

in the Bubble




It's been awhile since I have said anything in this forum because I have been in a bubble of sorts. For reasons too detailed to describe I spent most of the month of June at the Maine Media Workshop. I was learning how to make documentaries but in the midst of that what I experienced was the purity of a vision. I was in a bubble with on average 50-100/week people that were just as obsessed as about visual communication as I was. For three weeks over the course of 3 week long workshops, I lived, breathed, eat, slept, drank (too much) and even shat film. I have little experience in film making so I was thrown into the deep end of the pool and loved every frustrating minute of it. I loved it not just because of the opportunity to learn but because of the community in which I was learning. Everyone, and I mean everyone I encountered was a source of knowledge, wisdom, friendship and support. In a later ost I will discuss some of the specifics of my time there but for now, the point I want to make is that there is something special and powerful about swimming in the current with your fellow enthusiasts. I  was immersed in the thing I love with a community of people that love it as much as I do. It was and may only be a once in a lifetime experience but it showed me who I was and who I could be and in y experience, existence grants no greater blessing than self realization. I want to say hello to all my comrades, friends and colleagues from Maine. These pics do not include all of the people I am thankful to and for that I apologize but know that your friendship has had a profound effect on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment